Verizon DSL vs Comcast Cable

Rich Braun wrote:

> In between ISDN and RCN, I used
> a terrific 27-megabit service rolled out by CAI Wireless.  You can drive
> through Davis Square along Cutter Ave and still see the chimney-mount antenna
> I put up to receive that in 1997.)

We had the CAI Wireless setup here at The Buttery also, but we had a lot
of troubles with it. They originally installed it in the late fall, and
everything worked fine until spring when the trees got leaves; then we
no longer had line of sight and the connection would intermittently go
out depending on weather. (It would work well enough through dry leaves,
but not wet ones.) So the installer came back out and raised the antenna
another 10 feet, but they did it with a rather flimsy long mast
arrangement, so high winds would bend it far enough out of position that
the connection would stop working. We also had two failures of the
wireless cable modems, which the company replaced without cost to us.

When it worked, it was OK, though. It was essentially cable modem
technology over a radio connection on the MMDS band (a frequency area
reserved for wireless cable television and TV distribution over a
metropolitan area); the downlink, as Rich said, moved 27 Mbps (shared
among all the subscribers in a sector), and the uplink was a 33.6Kbps
modem connection (using a modem built into the cable modem, not a
separate one). Yes, that meant that you had to tie up a phone line
whenever you were online, and the upload speed was abysmal. Also, the
best actual download speed I ever got was about 1.5Mbps - I think the
limiting factor was the slow uplink, which restricted the rate at which
your system could send back the ACK packets.

Near the end, CAI did tests of a two-way wireless system that would not
have required the telephone uplink. The company's financial difficulties
doomed them before they ever used it for actual customers. (They had
evidently had a co-marketing deal with the company that was then NYNEX,
but the phone company pulled out, leaving CAI with a lot of capital
spent and very few customers to show for it.)

Our antenna is no longer on the roof; the flimsy mast bent, so we had it
taken down. I still have the MMDS antenna, though, as well as two
wireless cable modems, one of which would work if it had anything to
communicate with.

I haven't heard of much activity with MMDS spectrum and equipment
lately. It would seem to have potential for the right sort of city:
moderate size, a high point available to put the master antennas, and
mostly owner-occupied buildings (so they can put up antennas without
hassles). It wasn't an ideal fit for Boston, because too many potential
users didn't have line of sight to their central site because of being
blocked by buildings or hills.