AMD 64 motherboard recommendation

One of my biggest complaints of AMD based motherboards of late is the
lack of support for ECC memory.  If I'm putting >2GB in a box, I'd prefer
to spend a little overhead for a big peace of mind.

That said, I am also desiring the one ring .... err, I meant a AMD64 system ;-)
No particular reason, just because....

Which AMD64 are you considering?  If I understand it, the high end version
(opteron?) has the integrated memory controller, where as the lower end
consumer version does not?

Who knows the layman's details?