email/colo -- amazing response... thanks...

Chris Devers wrote:

> The downside is that the storage requirements on the mail server can be
> huge, depending on people's habits, but if you have a policy of making
> users transfer mail to local storage or removable media [cd, tape] for
> archiving then it's not so bad.

But hard disk space is cheap... put a couple of 200GB drives in the
server as a mirrored pair, and you're probably set for a while, at least
as long as you make sure people don't store huge attachments on the
server. And you have the data security of the mirroring. Also, it's
easier to do backups if your organization's policies call for backup of
email, or to enforce policies of purging old messages. (Some
organizations are required by law to keep long-term records of email
messages. Others actively avoid long-term storage of them.)

If you are planning to do backups of an email server, you'll want to
choose one that stores the messages in maildir format rather than mbox
format. An incremental backup of the former will only back up the new
messages, but a similar backup of the latter would be just about the
same as a full backup of the server, since each mbox would change every
time that user gets a new message.