Lockups with new memory

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Duane Morin wrote:

> I just bumped my Dell 5150 laptop from 512m (2x256) to 1gig (1x).  ANd
> three separate times I got spontaneous lockups (no keyboard or mouse,
> hard power down required).
>
> I've put back the 2x256 for now.  What are the odds it's a linux config
> thing?  Im gonna add mem=1024m to lilo but I dont have faith that's it.
> Should I assume it's just a bad dimm?
>
> Duane

One area people often overlook is BIOS.  I would recommend you first
ensure you have flashed the BIOS to the latest version (Dell is very good
with using service tags to give you the info you want), then see if the
BIOS gives any options for memory (usually not, and flexibility is usually
more limited with their laptops than with their desktops).

Scott