More PCMCIA sleuthing

Ok, I have become convinced that my lost wireless is a pcmcia problem.
I had recently recompiled my kernel just to generate a new module, not
realizing that it may have broken pcmcia_cs or linux-wlan.  So
I recompiled both of those.  Everything is in place and appears to
be behaving properly.  On bootup I even get Starting pcmcia [ok].

However, all I ever get for /sbin/cardctl is "Slot 0, no card".  I tail
/var/log/messages, a reload the cardmgr, and it say watching 1 socket.
It also says that all relevant io ports and iomem are clean.  But there's
just never any action on the socket.

Is there something I can monitor, perhaps in /proc, that should be
changing state when I insert/remove a pcmcia card?  What hardware event is
occurring?  I know that it is not a hardware problem, because as I have
mentioned the card works just fine under Windows.  So I have to assume
that something in my kernel is failing to recognize that a card is being
inserted.  Perhaps I unknowingly turned something off when I did my
otherwise straightforward recompile earlier this week, though I still
claim that there's no apparent correlation as I definitely was running
wireless after I recompiled.

Tips?  How do I wake the sucker up?  How do I poll the actual socket at
the lowest possible level to get it to actively look for the card?

Duane