protectionism et al

Derek Martin wrote:

>>I'm no fan of protectionism, but I do believe that until the world
>>economy eventually does equalize in a hundred years or so, some amount
>>of protectionism is necessary, in order to make the transition more
>>smooth for everyone involved.

Protectionism is how money is made.  That's why we see corporations lining up to pay off our politicians to give them protection against both foreign and domestic competition.  The only ones left unprotected are our ourselves.  Look at how the Indian governmnent is agressively working to protect offshoring yet we have the Bush administration's Colin Powell visiting India to reassure Indians outsourcing work.  I don't care if you're Republican, Democrat or other but he should be aiding US citizens not foreigners.  The dictionary definition for his action is treason.