Newbie Write & Edit (Latex)

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 11:28:09AM -0400, paul.cour1 at verizon.net wrote:
> In the context of the recent post of
> DTP vs Word processors, I have often wondered
> about Latex. I recall some ole Unix Guy
> telling me that Latex was the thing.

Well, LaTeX is a derivative of TeX. Knuth wrote TeX when the typesetting
on volume 1 wasn't what he wanted. Academic publishers all adopted it.

> Is Latex still used to some extent?

Yup.

> Was Latex a tool, a part of a typical Unix installation?

Pretty much, yes.

> Is it available via wide distribution today ???

I would be surprised if your favorite Linux flavor didn't have it
available (assuming your favorite isn't, say, Tom's Root Boot or a
similar embedded distro).

-dsr-

--
I just haven't introduced the CIA psyops unicorn yet.
					-- Charlie Stross