Sun, Microsoft Pact Viewed As 'Unholy Alliance' Against Linux,

On Tuesday 06 April 2004 14:27, Jim Long wrote:
> Sun’s commercial office package is Star Office. It contains
> some proprietary and licensed code that can’t be released
> into Open Office. I guess the concern is that Sun could stop
> releasing improvements to their open source offshoot.

I think you may have it reversed. SO is built from the OO source, not the
other way around. There are no true restrictions that Sun can put on OO,
except to withdraw resources from working on Open-source components (100% of
OO, and 99% of SO), and switch to a different license for modules that fit
into OO. The only things that SO has that OO hasn't are a few save/open file
filters, a few proofing tools, a database...and a partridge in a pear tree.