Open Office, and OSS fears

The real advantage of open source software is that the package can
continue even if the corporate sponsor abandons it.  Whether it's picked
up or not by the community will depend on its utility.  I think that
FOSS encourages usage since it's less likely to be abandoned for purely
business reasons.  And in the event that there are several options in
the same space I think the best one will live.  I think OpenOffice would
continue to live if Sun dropped it.

Think of all the wonderful and creative PC DOS programs that got
abandoned and are lost forever because they were clobbered by the MS
juggernaut and were closed source.  If they had been open sourced a lot
of them would still be available (IMO).

Mozilla had a steep hill to climb before the codebase became useful.  In
that case Netscape seemed to be trying to mooch off the community to fix
their browser.  Mooching goes both ways.  Doesn't really work that way.
The corporate entity really needs to sponsor the bulk of the work.

I happily buy a copy of StarOffice, partly because of the extra goodies
they put in and partly to support Sun's effort.  Paying for open source
really kills the idea that it can't make any money and encourages it.