Folllow up to my Disk Druid Question, or "comedy of errors"

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 11:17:54AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2004 10:51:43 -0400
> Bill Horne <bill at billhorne.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Since I've been recommending a single partition for "home" grade
> > installations, please share the reasons for using this plan.
>
> Some people also prefer a separate /var. There are some good reasons for
> this. The /var file system is very volatile since it contains logs an
> spools. By separating it from the root file system, you add a tab more
> protection against corruption of the root file system. Another advantage
> is that it also limits problems that arise when some log or spool gets
> too large due to normal use or possibly hacking.

All of these are good. Here are some other good things:

- Use LVM and resizable filesystems.
- Use disk mirroring. If you're buying a computer, put in two drives,
  not one.
- If you've got multiple machines, use rsync to make regular backups of
  important data to a different machine.
- If you've got a CD burner, burn your /home (at least) every month or
  so. Label the CDs.

-dsr- didn't do that, got burnt, does that now.