Shopping for packages

I'm building a box based on OpenBSD.  The standard install with the works
seems pretty spartan by my full-bloated Red Hat linux install - or SuSe or
Debian - experience.  Feeble virtual X window manager etc.  - pretty lame.

So I'm going through the packages list, and lots I recognize because I use
them discretely like emacs, ncftp, tcpdump, but loads of these don't say
much in the built-in package info, really, and I don't have time to
experiment with the three thousand whatever packages (before we even talk
about ports!) that are out there.

Are there lists out there of what packages go well together, so I can cut
down the experimental approach?  As much as I would learn a ton doing it, it
will take weeks to get a functional machine rather than a day or two.  It
would be nice to have this machine pretty close to ready on Monday.

Thanks!

MEG