cdr, device names, and ide-scsi

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can use an IDE CD Burner with
cdrecord and other burning software. However, if the drive  is showing
up as hd[x], it isn't being connected through the ide-scsi module.

You need to specifically disable the kernel from connecting to that
drive with the ide module, and then load ide-scsi (or build it into
your kernel). At that point, the drive will show up as sd[x] and you
can use it normally.

If you type:

cdrecord -scanbus

You should see your drive listed. If you don't, something is wrong.

-Josh