System monitoring

On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 14:35, David Backeberg wrote:
> What exactly do you want to monitor?

Well, we have several systems that we monitor (not on the same network)
and I'd like a centralized place to check their status.  Here's a few of
the things I'd be looking to monitor:

Disk Usage/Throughput
Network IO
CPU Usage
Memory Usage
Make sure certain processes are running
Make sure particular ports are open
Make sure no unexpected ports are open

Ideally there would be historical data kept for each of these items and
have tools for generating pretty charts/graphs for them.  If it had SNMP
capability, it would be a plus but it's not a requirement.  I also need
to be able to configure it to contact me if certain of the above items
go "out of bounds" so to speak.

Of course, I want it to be able to handle everything else I want to
monitor that I haven't thought of yet.  8)

--
Some Axiom: The intelligence of the world is a constant.
            The population is increasing.

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc