Trouble with Raid 1

Hello:

My thought was to make sure the degraded array worked in the sense
that I could mount it at startup.  If that happens, then I will add
another device.  I can see that raid is loaded as a module now:

> lsmod |grep raid
raid1                  11216   2 (autoclean)
md                     55552   3 (autoclean) [raid1]

> cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md1 : active raid1 ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part8[0]
      4785344 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md0 : active raid1 ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part5[0]
      8384 blocks [2/1] [U_]

> ps aux|grep raid
root       305  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        SW<  20:01   0:00 [raid1d]
root       325  0.0  0.0     0    0 ?        SW<  20:01   0:00 [raid1d]

> cat /etc/fstab|grep md
/dev/md0       /floppy          fd    defaults        0       2
/dev/md1       /mnt             fd    defaults        0       2

I would think then that these two should be mounted on reboot, and I
should see files on /mnt and /floppy, but there is nothing.  Running

> mount /dev/md1 /mnt

does reveal the the files are there, but I first want to see the
machine find it by itself.  What I am missing?

doug