learning java

Duane Morin wrote:
> Which Sun cert are you getting?  There are like 4 levels ranging from "Has
> memorized the esoteric bits of the API that no one uses" to "Can now call
> himself an architect and have a piece of paper on the wall that proves he
> coughed up the dough" (as opposed to everybody else who calls themselves
> architects without the piece of paper :)).  I recommend the "web
> developer" level which seems to be the most practical one.
>
> While I'm sure that getting certified is a good way to prove to yourself
> that you've reached a milestone in learning the language, I hope you're
> not investing lots of money.  My company is hiring good Java people as
> fast as we can find them and I can honestly say that certification has not
> made a lick of difference in anybody's situation thus far.   Maybe if you
> want to target some big financial enterprises or something, sure, but
> we're just a small company that wants people that can code (and we're
> gonna ask you the same technical questions whether you claim to be
> certified or not :)).
>
> Duane

I was thinking to go get this one as seems to cover fundamentals and
it's not expensive.
http://suned.sun.com/US/catalog/courses/CX-310-035.html
Then provide my own home brew code to possible employers as an example
of ability.  I've read through (twice) a Sams "teach yourself Java 2 in
21 days", but I don't think they're using earth days. :)  now I'm half
way through the Sun "trails" and I'm really focusing on working out all
the examples and problems.  I think in under two months I'll be able to
pass the test and start making neat little apps for my Linux box.  The
cert is to help me focus on an objective (I tend to wander around too
much) and help me get past some HR guy and talk to somebody like you.

I bet folks on the list are glad to hear you're hiring.
Thanks for your advice,  -Eric.

--
http://235u.home.comcast.net/