Lexar Media USB Mass Storage Device

On Friday 30 April 2004 10:49 pm, edwardp at operamail.com wrote:
> I acquired a Lexar Media USB Mass Storage Device (for digital camera memory
> cards).  Strangely enough, it works perfectly under Windows (unlike
> audio!), but I cannot get this to work under Linux (SuSE 9.0 Personal).

USB2.0 is kinda iffy in the 2.4 kernel.  I got burned by that big time myself.

> Going into YaST's Hardware selection, the device is recognized, however I
> am unable to access it from the desktop.  A quick Google search indicated
> it should mount as /mnt/flash, but there are no directories under /mnt/ at
> all, even with the device plugged in.

SuSE tends to want to mount removable devices under /media instead of /mnt.
Try looking for /media/flash.

Also look in the file /etc/fstab for something about flash.  That will list
the right mount point.

> Has anyone succededing in getting the same or a similar device working
> under Linux?  It certainly is easier reading the images off this, as
> opposed to plugging the camera directly into USB and hope it's recognized.

Some devices yes, some no.  No pattern.  I have a simple 6-in-1 card reader
that will only work for CompactFlash under Linux.  But my new MP3 player,
which is much more complex and is USB2.0, works every time.

> (My apologies if "discuss" is not the proper list for a question like this,
> it's the only BLU list I'm subscribed to at this time.)

It's the *perfect* place for a question like this.

Let us know what's in /etc/fstab.

Also, look for a program called "usbview" to list out all the USB devices.

DDDD   David Kramer                           http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Whenever I think I've accomplished a lot, I just remind
DK KD  myself that when Mozart was my age -- he'd been dead
DDDD   for 29 years!                                   - Tom Lehrer