Update to Windows Audio Problem

It would appear that the audio problem I'm having under XP, might be video-related.

As the audio also crackles when the menus fade in, I decided to have a look at the video properties to see if anything could be disabled.

The video card I have is an nVIDIA-based TNT2 M64 with 32 Mb of onboard video RAM with the latest drivers (version 56.72).

Under Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot, there is a checkbox "Enable Write Combining" which is checked by default.  With this box unchecked, the crackling audio ceased when a CD is played with the Nero Media Player, but continues with the Real and Windows Media players.