Petabyte Disk Drives in Seven Years

One of the benefits of the increase in hard drive capacity is the rapid
decrease in cost per unit of storage, thus decreasing the reliance on
slower and sometimes less reliable technologies. High speed hard drive
arrays are ultimately safer, faster and in the end more space and time
efficient (and now more cost effective as well). With high speed
internet connections growing in abundance and competition for internet
access heating up and lowering costs, the next phase might be for
dedicated home and business computer users to use large in-home/on-site
disk arrays to store data much like the Google and other search engines,
and Akamai web caches, thus lowering overall bandwidth demands and
improving on-site performance, much like the new AOL browser uses
caching to speed up its downloads. Even nicer, I'd hope to see a new
standard created for small high capacity drives that would just hot-plug
into small desktop array boxes (and USB or Firewire connected), or
perhaps even into tray-loading modules engineered to fit into the
ubiqutious 3.5"/5.25" drive bays (I suspect you could create a
substantial RAID 0+1 or even RAID 5 array using 2.5" drives or smaller),
with these designed for both caching and general data storage purposes.
SQUID is an open source program designed to serve just that caching
function and would dovetail nicely with such hardware.

The future looks bright, at least on that front.