router recommendations

Jared Michaels wrote:
> [...] I'm split between the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G and the Netgear
> WGT624 Wireless 802.11G Firewall 4-Port Router.

I've used equipment from both, and while not exactly the same equipment
you're considering:

I purchased a Linksys wireless NIC about a year ago (the 65G), though
not for use with Linux. The card has worked very well. I checked the
Linksys web site, and a WPA-capable client was provided quickly and with
no hassle.

I purchased a Netgear WAP at about the same time (can't recall the exact
model now.) After waiting 6 months, I found an obscure page on the
Netgear website indicating that this product will NOT be provided with
WPA capabilities. The WAP generally worked well, but I'm left with a
minimally-secured device.

Needless to say, I'm less than favorably impressed with Netgear as a
result. Now that Cisco owns Linksys, and considering their general
attentiveness to security, I'm buying Linksys in the future.

- Bob