router recommendations

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 6:58 pm, Jared Michaels wrote:
> My question is not directly related to Linux, although I will be using this
> product with Linux eventually. I'm finally getting DSL and have spent the
> day searching for a good router. I'm split between the Linksys WRT54G
> Wireless-G and the Netgear WGT624 Wireless 802.11G Firewall 4-Port Router.
> I've read mixed reviews for both -- some cite intermittent wireless
> connectivity, poor firewall features and terrible tech support, while
> others say they're dreamy. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
> wireless "g" router with a good firewall (that's fairly easy to set up),
> WPA, pretty good connectivity, compatible with Suse linux, and around $150
> or less? (Actually, I guess it doesn't have to be compatible with linux
> since I will be setting up the router in Windows -- right?).

Here's my recommendation: Get a separate router/firewall and WAP.
- You can put the router where all the wires need to run to and the WAP where
it will provide the best reception.  They are not likely to be the same place

- When you're not using your wireless, you can turn it off for extra security.

- You can upgrade the router/firewall separately later.  New wireless
standards will come out.

- It increases your selection of router/firwall boxes.  Or use a Linux box for
now and buy the router/firewall the next time a few extra dollars are burning
a hole in your pocket.

--
DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD