Laptop recommendations

If the drive is in a detachable carrier, can you pull it out, run the serial
number on the manufacturer's website and get warranty coverage from them? It
sounds like you're not going to void your warranty by opening the carrier.

Maybe it's an IBM hard drive? FedEx shipping charges are cheaper than a new
hard drive.