Laptop recommendations

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:06, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I live and die by Thinkpads.  I cannot recommend them enough.

Thats my experience, too.  And IBM has been more than fair to me in
regards to service.  They once paid to ship and repair a laptop that was
2mo outside of warranty.

> My wife had a Dell and it was in for repairs about every 3 months --
> it just plain broke that often.  Perhaps she had a lemon, but I've

I've not been impressed with the workmanship of Dell laptops from
2000--2003.  I know a number of people with broken LCD hinges, LCDs that
look awful because they rub against the keyboard (Inspiron 8x00 series),
and broken plastic cases.

> So, I recommend the thinkpad!

About four months ago I watched in horror as an entire large coffee was
spilled onto the keyboard of a running ThinkPad A series.  To everyone's
amazement, the machine kept running.  It was turned on its side (to let
most of the remaining coffee run off), carefully cleaned with paper
towels, and is still running well--it gets almost daily use.  I would
not believe that a laptop could survive such an incident had I not
witnessed it.

Oh, and that laptop was (and still is) running Linux.  ;-)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307