Laptop recommendations

I think Dell and IBM are the best, most compatible with Linux brands.  I
had an A21p that was a great machine for Linux.

That said, I've got a couple of Toshiba's that mostly work OK.  They
require some tweaks.

Sony's are the least standard and most proprietary machines but they
will run Linux but I don't think Sony even pretends to support Linux.

The biggest problem right now with Linux on laptops is the Centrino
chipsets, especially the builtin wireless.  Intel is still working on
Linux drivers, especially for the wireless card.

I've recently got a Toshiba Tecra M2 which is pretty nice Centrino based
machine.  (Weight is a factor for me.)  I have to shut off the wireless
and use a PC Card when I want wireless which is a pain.  I tried the
Linuxant driver loader but couldn't get it to work properly.  The other
annoyance is that the BIOS settings appear to be accessible only through
a Windoze application so I have to set it to dual boot.  But other than
that I like it. :-)

www.linux-on-laptops.com has some information when you narrow down your
search.