router recommendations

On Fri, 14 May 2004 00:53:04 +0000
dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:42:18PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> > Indeed one of the things I can't stand about the wi-fi config
> > settings on all the cards I've tried thus far is that you can only
> > have one configuration stored at a time.  I have to keep network
> > keys in a text file and cut/paste them into the silly dialog box
> > whenever I move from one LAN to the next. Drives me crazy.  I can't
> > imagine doing support for an office LAN for employees who also have
> > a home LAN and a separate one at a parent's house and maybe a
> > university campus too.  It should just *work* without having to futz
> > with long hexadecimal strings.
>
> Erm... on Windows, you go to Setup New Network Connection,
> select the adapter, enter the info, et voila. When you want to
> change, you go to the Control Panel and click the appropriate
> icon.
>
> In Linux, I would use discover or a similar package.
Very simple on SuSE Linux.
YaST/Network Devices/network Cards. The display is very simple and
straightforward. In the past on Red Hat, I have use netconfig, but I
don't have a recent Red Hat or Fedora system here.

One nice thing about Linux today is that it also has profiles where you
can set up your network card for different environments. My laptop is
set up for home (static IP + my printer and a few other things). I have
it set up for DHCP for use at Northeastern, complete with printer
support for the classrooms I use, and another static IP for MIT. The
wirelesss card was just as easy to set up (SuSe 8.2 and follows).

Additionally, my students at NEU install SuSE and Fedora in their second
or third class, and all those come up in the NEU environment. Today,
Linux installs are easy enough for many Windows users.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group