[no subject]

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Perhaps the developers know some of the following information already,
but here is what I found:

The way that the kernel reports geometry information has changed from
2.4 to 2.6. Reference here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=1Gjko-6Y1-5%
40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=4

Note that this thread shows that in kernel 2.6.6 there is a way to get
the "old" geometry information.

This problem has been known since at least last December, reference here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=WJ3h.3dk.1%
40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=4&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dparted%2520kernel%25202.6%26hl%
3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg
and here:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2003-11/msg00051.html

I'm not sure if parted has been fixed yet, but this patch appears to
try to address this issue:
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-parted/2004-04/msg00079.html

In fact, the common symptom that people complain about is that they
can't boot windows. And I agree with comment 25 that bug 113201 is
likely the same as this one. Shouldn't this bug be considered a
showstopper?

Absurdly disappointing. I'm already a fair chunk into the DVD bit torrent, and
thinking of stopping it.

To make this level of error (if that poster's assertion that this change
happened in December) is a sign of more problems on this level to rear their
heads later.

You know, I'm getting more than a little tired of my favorite Linux
distributions and Science Fiction TV shows, getting cancelled, or getting to
a state where they should be.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  Live long and prosper.   - Vulcan proverb
DK KD  And eat well.            - Jewish addendum to Vulcan proverb
DDDD   Feast on your enemies!   - Klingon interpertation of Jewish addendum