Linux says "booting the kernel" and then locks up?

Mike,

Is this your first attempt at compiling a 2.6 kernel?  If so, you should
check out the post halloween document:
http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt

This problem sounds like the first "Known Gotcha" listed in that
document.