laptop recommendations, Phase II

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 9:24 am, Bob Gorman wrote:
> At 08:03 AM 6/1/2004, David Kramer wrote:
> >I want to buy a fairly powerful laptop.
>
> You might find this within your spec/price range:
>
>   http://linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2430.html

I looked at them.  I would love to support something like that, but there are
several things stopping me.

- Their website is missing extremely crutial information, like warranty
details, return policy, whether I would have to pay shipping and tax... In
fact, their website is out of date enought that I wonder about the rest of
the operation.  Ferinstance, if you go to that laptop, they're showing a
special price that expired on 05/15, so they haven't updated the website in
two weeks, and there just aren't that many pages on it.  I don't mind the
website being plain, but it's just not professional enough, and that's the
only information I have about the company.

- There's only one review of it ANYWHERE, and the review is AWFUL!  He has a
whole paragraph on how the modem didn't work until he figured out he plugged
it into the wrong wall jack, but no mention of battery life, heat, problems

- If I buy a laptop preloaded with Linux, I don't know what special drivers or
kernel tweaks they needed to get everything working.  If I want to upgrade
the OS later (and I will), then I would need to figure out those tweaks
without the benefit of thousands trying before me and dozens posting their
results somewhere.

DDDD   David Kramer         david at thekramers.net       http://thekramers.net
DK KD
DKK D  "Virtue has its own reward, but has no sale at the box office."
DK KD                                                             --Mae West
DDDD