I just *had* to comment.

dsr at tao.merseine.nu writes:

> We are clearly talking about completely different things.
>
> I am talking about a production environment in which there are n
> classes of machines, and a member of a class should be
> essentially identical to any other member of that class.
>
> What are you talking about?

A production environment where there is one class of machine (dataless
client) and all (well most) of the software lives on the net.  Users
can "attach" whatever software they wish, or they can run it directly
out of AFS.  But it's never "installed" on the local machine.  All
software configuration lives in AFS with the software.

> -dsr-

-derek