I just *had* to comment.

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:58:49AM -0400, David Kramer wrote:
> How about /etc/sysconfig?  Does that work for you?

You can call it what you want, but that particular name has been
claimed  by SuSE and doesn't do this at all. Re-using it would
be a mistake.

> > In which case you use rsync on /etc/dotfiles from the
> > appropriate central repository branch (webservers get theirs
> > from repository/webservers/etc/dotfiles, login machines from
> > repository/logins/etc/dotfiles, etc.).
>
> Wait.  I thought the proposal was a central binary registry file.  How are you
> going to use rsync to synchronize one part of one binary file?  Unless every
> single machine is absolutely identical and has the same ACL.

No, you haven't followed the context. These are n distinct
textfiles, one or more per application, which simply have the
same syntax so that a single API can work with them all easily.

-dsr-