From: discuss-admin at blu.org [mailto:discuss-admin at blu.org] On Behalf Of
Timothy M. Lyons
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 3:30 PM
To: Ben Jackson; discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: Computers in Basements

Ben,

I have had anywhere from 6-10 servers racked in the basement for the
past 5 years with no major issues.  Dust accumulation  is something to
watch for. Not a big deal if you clean the system out every 6-mos or so
with a can of air.  I will say that it probably does decrease the MTBF
of the various internal components by exposing them to an environment of
ever-changing conditions.

However, I can't be sure as the relatively-few component failures I've
experienced, were "getting up-there" in age anyhow...

HTH,
--Tim