network config with two network cards as route to gateway

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:14:51 -0400
David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:

> So I got SuSE 9.1 (Ugh.  Don't ask)  installed on the new Thinkpad
> T42.  It has a built-in 10/100base-t ethernet, and a built-in minipci
> 802.11x card. I'm still struggling getting the Centrino wireless card
> (IBM 2200) working right, but at one point I had it working (open to
> suggestions on this too. Fooled with linuxant's driverloader before I
> saw you have to pay for it).
>
> So here's the thing.  Sometimes I'm going to be connected via eth0
> (hardline), and sometimes I'm going to be connected via wlan0
> (wireless).  Even when I got the wireless network card on speaking
> terms with iwconfig and ifconfig, it still wouldn't pass any data.  I
> am *GUESSING* that the problem might be the routing table.
>
> So how do I set up the routing table such that when eth0 is live, I
> use that to connect to the gateway, and when wlan0 is live, I use that
> to connect to the gateway?  Do I need to set up a script to change the
> routing table each time?  Or can the routing table be smart enough to
> use wlan0 when eth0 is down?
I actually have that situation on my laptop where I plug in at home with
a static IP, or I use wireless, or I'm at NEU where I use DHCP ...
The first thing I did was to set up profiles. You can do this through
YaST or use scpm(8) from the command line. I also have Grub configured
to load the appropriate profile on startup.
Last night, I used the wireless, and because I didn't get a response, I
turned off eth0. (The reason for no response is that I had the WAP
disabled which has nothing to do with SuSE). After enabling the WAP, the
wireless came up and the routing table was fine.
I just fired up the laptop with the cable not connected, but with the
wireless inserted. The routing table was fine:
1. sudo ifconfig eth0 down
2. pop the wireless.
If the routing table is not ok, then manually run the route command.

Note that the profile manager (SCPM) also allows you to set up other
special services, such as printers for those environments.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group