Waiting for Transaction Lock when installing rpm

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 15:36, Don Levey wrote:
> Miah wrote:
> > RPM holds its lock files in /var/lib/rpm, the locks are named like
> > db__*.  rm those files, then rpm --rebuilddb and you should be fine.
> > Kill off the running rpm command if possible.  Be careful that you
> > don't rm any files other than the db__* files.
> >

> > -miah
>
> Unfortunately, after removing these three files (__db.001, 002, 003) and
> running the
> rpm --rebuilddb command, I still get:
>
> 	[root at dauphin rpm]# rpm --rebuilddb
> 	warning: waiting for transaction lock
>
> I'm seeing more and more processes just hang, inexplicably.  For example,
> trying to 'find' *.lock files, lsof, and so on.  Looking at top, BTW, shows
> nothing at all using more than 1% of either CPU or memory.

Hi Don,

You might be forced to reboot (or "/sbin/telinit 1" and then back to
runlevel 3 or 5) to clean up that RPM problem.  I've seen it a few times
on RH 8 and (I think) once on RH 9 but not on any Fedora Core releases.
I think that its a somewhat infamous RPM/db bug that happened around the
advent or RH 8 and took a while to be fixed.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307