Grub on MBR just won't "take"

Maybe I'm wrong here, but doesn't one of the partitions on the drive
need to be marked 'Active'? Also, BIOS needs to know which drive to
start the booting process from, so if you've got two drives, make sure
the one your installed grub to is setup as the first drive your BIOS
sees, and that its set to boot from it (sometimes called C: to the
BIOS)

-Josh