steel-wool panty liners = Java?

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:03:28AM -0400, Matthew Valites wrote:

> >This is reflected by two of my biggest software development rants of
> >mine over the past near-decade:
> >
> >- Schools today, even technical ones, teach programming languages, but
> >not the arts of software design or development.
> >
> Having just graduated a couple years ago, I find this statement broadly
> ignorant.

Having a BS in MIS and being in the midst of some sort of CS program
at UML, I have taken many programming courses from both MIS and CS
departments.  While the CS courses did a much better job at teaching
principles of software design than the MIS (technically math
department) courses, I've yet to experience a course which offered an
iota of clue as to how to avoid writing code that overflows a buffer,
beyond "don't use scanf()."  I think that's pretty sad.

-=-=-=-=-