Site defaced - what next?

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:29:20AM -0400, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> My site was owned and defaced.

........<SNIPPED>..........

> Anyway, there isn't a significant financial loss involved in this, it is
> more a nuisance since my site is informational.  But still, my question
> to the group is what if anything should be done to hunt down the
> script-kiddie who defaced the page.  Is there any regulatory body that
> ISP's report these incidents to?

Who ever did it broke some laws, so it is a crime, unfortunately the FBI
won't move on it unless you lost at least $10K.

That said, however, definitely file a report with the Police or FBI.
Adding more numbers to that category of crime will raises the budgetary
value of enforcing those laws at all levels and so eventually law
enforcement will get more resources to follow up, but only if we report
the crimes.

As for finding the SOB, if the guilty party can be positively identified
it would be helpful to everyone to know who it is.  If they are local
I would certainly want to be aware of their activities.

If they are not local, the community which they live in is probably
interested in knowing who they are and what they do as well.

Did the server get rooted as well? or just defaced ?  If its not rooted,
then you may have some log file information that may be useful.  (of
course even if its there, it may not help, depends on the sophistication
of the attacker.)

Also - would you consider putting up a honeypot?  If they attacked once,
they may try again and it would be much easier to find out who it is
if a honeypot is active.