(no subject)

Ryan, of course I don't appreciate your remarks, but I direct this letter at
the group, and not particularly at you.

First, the statements I have made are truthful and accurate in all respects.

The only thing I should say, since some of you have looked up my past work,
is that while my compression technology is real, it probably is not
practical, as in running on the X86 chip in a PC.  With the addition of a
dedicated card with a VLSI chip, that would make it quite practical and
probably heavily used.  And trust me, I've spoken to VC's, it's not a clear
win -- because new computer technology is quite difficult to 'own', it seems
to leak and spread.

And in case you haven't noticed, intellectual property is the next big thing
in computing.  Protecting it that is...

It is certainly true that this claim is robust and that many observers think
I am either a fraud or mistaken.  But the fact is, while I don't have a
system (a compressor and decompressor) that will compete with say, ARJ, or
PKZIP, I do have a system that compress'es files and then, at a 'receiver'
site, decompresses the file.  And this system does meet my basic claim, that
I can compress a file several times, recompressing the output from the prior
stage.

Slowly.

That's it.  Everything I have just said is true.

While I recognize that most of you won't believe my assertion, occasionally,
with appropriate security considerations, I do provide demonstrations.  In
fact I assume that a certain MIT prof, a good friend of mine, will decide to
accept my offer eventually.  The reason he is afraid to at present, is that
he doesn't want to be the target of people, probably many of you, who would
flame him for not disclosing the basis of operation.  And frankly, while I
know many people, I have learned over the years that trust is a fragile
thing and that I would be taking a foolish risk were I to trust lot's of
people.

I did promise one individual who posts here a demo.  I have not heard back
from him.  I hope to.  But it will be done privately and I doubt that he
will want to advertise anything.  In fact, I promise that person complete
anonomnity.  I will not break my word.  If anyone finds out about my offer,
it will be him who tell's others -- not me.

I've discovered that what I thought as a young engineering student ain't
true -- it's not always a good idea to give the mass'es a better life.  Some
of them are jerks.  Our job is not to join 'em.

Before all this happened, I had thought about offering to do a demo at MIT
for BLU, but security would be a huge problem.

Occasionally I do one but never under circumsntaces where it's coneeivable
someone could rush up and steal a floppy and run for it.  I just have too
much to lose.  And 2-3 years ago, when I discovered BLU I thought about
scheduling one on another subject but then, shelving that topic and giving a
repeatable compression demo.  I tried to schedule a demo for aiTRAN (a
computer algebra system I developed for programer's,) but couldn't get the
leader person (I forget his name,) to plug me in.

Just as well, especially now...