Big BLU Super Computer

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 10:23:04AM -0400, miah wrote:
> Have you not been reading anything I've posted?

Yes, but there is room for alternative perspectives...

> I'm quite sure that the folding at home and Seti are going to work the
> same way dnetc is, its not going to perform any better on the
> cluster than it is on 10 computers on the same switch.

While a cluster is not needed for SETI or DNET, if nothing else
presents itself, these uses are as worthy as any.  Part of the point
of this project is itself the setting up of the cluster, and the
learning of the tools needed to do so.  That is, itself, a worthy
goal (at least to some).

> How about doing something worthwhile instead?

Define worthwhile.  It's very subjective.

> Experience is good and all, but why go through the pain of setting up
> a cluster if you don't even have something good to do with it
> afterwards.  If you build a cluter, and have nothing to do with it
> afterwards, how are you going to test it properly?

This is a good point.  Rather than complaining, maybe you could
suggest a specific application, and sell it to the group...

> Does BLU already have a 'group' of people working on dnetc, or seti?
> Many people already have groups, and they don't have a cluster.  You
> can gain rep this way.  But also, who gives a shit about 'rep'.

I think probably most people, to some degree or other...

-=-=-=-=-