Major Clock Drift

I've got this strange problem on my Linux machine at work... We run ntp
from a local server. Lately, my machine has developed some major clock
drift. At bootup, it uses ntp to set the clock, but after only 24
hours, the clock time can be as much as 3.5 or 4 seconds off from the
server. This is a pain for my software development, since all my code
is stored on the server and accessed via nfs, so make complains about
clock skew.

Anyway, what could be the cause of my drifting clock? Could I have
something setup wrong, or is my computer's hardware somehow going?

I'm running Gentoo.

-Josh