Major Clock Drift

Josh Pollak wrote:

> Yeah, I'm aware of that, but to prefer to keep the number of daemons to
> a minimum. For example, I try not to run cupsd unless I must. KDE can
> connect to a remote cupsd, and since I don't have any local printers,
> there's no point in running it locally. I just didn't realize that ntpd
> was also the ntp client.

I think ntp.conf can include directives to make the server daemon (ntpd) ignore requests from other
machines, so it is possible to run it and be confident about its safety.

For your purposes, though, it's probably easier to just run ntpdate in a cron job once an hour or a
few times/day.  That'll keep your machine's time consistent enough for practical use.

--RC