Officially changing my most-hated UNIX flavor.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:33:51 -0400 (EDT)
David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:

> Up until recently it was HP-UX, because I had some messy issues
> porting an app from HP-UX 10 to a more modern version.  They changed
> every object size under the sun in preparation for 64-bitness and a
> newer curses standard and IPv6, even though that newer HP-UX didn't
> itself have the 64-bitness or IPv6.
HP-UX 10 had some support for 64 Bit, but 11.0 was the first real 64 bit
HP-UX. HP-UX runs in either 32 bit or 64 bit modes on PA-RISC processors
and 64 bit mode on the Itanium chip. Also, note that some of the data
structures changed as mandated by standards.

There is a very extensive porting guide available that contains a great
deal of information. Much of the information deals with porting from
Tru64 Unix, but a great deal of it is generic. I can personally vouch
that the team who wrote that document (Karen Dorhamer, Jon Ward, Will
Beck, me, Jeff Donsbach, a couple of HP compiler people, and a couple of
Intel people) absolutely knew their stuff.
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/transition/apps/porting_guide.html

Some of the more interesting stuff in their for a developer is the
compiler options.
he compiler that ships with HP-UX is not ANSI. Customers need to buy the
ANSI compiler, but GCC also is supported. Additionally, there is an HP
porting center in Littleton. If you could make arrangements to go up
there and use the center for a short time, you could get some hands on
help from Karen, Jonathan, Jeff or a couple of others.

HP-UX is not my favorite Unix, but it is moving toward getting better as
the former DEC people are adding some features from Tru64 Unix.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group