newbie question about nmapper

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
kathleen lynch <lynchlinux at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a new installation of domino on linux.  The domino server is up
> and running but is accessible only though http.  The Notes clients
> can't get through.  I went to nmapper to do port scan  --I have a
> pretty good idea of what is blocked anyway but it seems like aneat
> idea.  However, there are a zillion.  I am running redhat 7.3  what
> rpm of portmapper would be good for me to use?
Portmapper should be built into RH 7.3. I've never seen a network
release of Linux without it. I think you have to figure out what port
that the domino server listens to and make sure that the notes vclient
knows about it. The standard lotus notes port is 1352 (both TCP and
UDP).

In essence, a server binds itself to a specific port, and listens for
connections to that port.
Also, make sure that the firewall in RH 7.3 is not blocking that port
for internal clients. (For testing, just disable the firewall (iptables
or ipchains).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group