Basic bash help

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 09:46:49AM -0400, trlists at clayst.com wrote:
>      alias cp='cp -i'
       ~/.bashrc
>      alias mv='mv -i'
       ~/.bashrc
>      alias rm='rm -i'
       ~/.bashrc
>      alias vi='vim'
       /etc/profile.d/vim.sh
>      alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-
> dot --show-tilde'
       /etc/profile.d/which-2.sh

I checked on Fedora Core 1, and Redhat 7.1, and thats how they were on
both systems.  If you don't have those aliases in those files, then
they're set somewhere else, by something thats non-default.

Just to be extremely clear, I actually looked at the redhat srpm, and
they're not working any magic to 'build in' those aliases, so they're
definitely being set by a script, or a login profile.

> The aliases for vi and which are findable in the files in profile.d,
> however those for cp, mv, and rm are not there nor in ~/.bashrc, nor in
> /etc/bashrc.  Where might they be?
>
> Also, for my own aliases, where is the usual place to set them if I
> want them global?  Specific to a particular user?  Do I create my own
> script in profile.d for my own aliases, or modify an existing script?
> For local ones do I use ~/.bashrc, or make it call a separate script?
> I know all of these approaches will work, I'm wondering if there is a
> common practice for defining aliases.

global would be /etc/bashrc specific to a user ~/.bashrc, don't forget
to update /etc/skel/.bashrc if you start adding more aliases you
allways want set.

-miah