Hacking a MailStation?

I recently acquired a MailStation, but it begins to look as though my intended use for it will not come to pass.

I don't have any documentation, so I have very little idea how to even make it do anything (I do get a diagnostics menu when I put batteries in it, but that's about it, and the contrast is very low). Heck, I can't even figure out how to turn it off!

I was told it was unlocked, and thus able to be used with any dialup service (I think it might have originally been issued by Yahoo rather than Earthlink, incidentally), but that's about all I have on it.

Browsing around the net, I find very little useful information about this appliance. But I seem to recall hearing at some time in the past that its underlying os is some version of Linux(?) ... so was wondering if anyone has done any interesting hardware hacking on it. However, so far my searches have been fruitless.

I figured this was a good place to start asking around ...

If you know anything at all, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bill [Sexagenarian Boy Genius] Phillips
Geekhaven, Massachusetts 02138
Check out Old Professor Bear's House o' Books:
http://books.oldprofessorbear.com/
.