why you should try MythTv

On Oct 6, 2004, at 10:42 AM, miah wrote:

> They did, its called KnoppMyth
>
> http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

Tried that. Its ok I suppose.

> As for hardware
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

Yeah, I've poured over that. Its not nearly specific enough. The
discussion on video cards has only passing mention of overscan
abilities on the NVidia drivers. That could be a lot clearer.

> And LIRC has a list of compatible hardware on their page.  If you're
> using something else, sure you'll be playing for a while.

Yeah, I've got an ATI All-In-Wonder RF remote... I could get it talking
with LIRC, and got MythTV working too, but even so, the controls were
not very clear. Also, I frankly like having the nice simple TiVo
remote, as opposed to having to mentally map the buttons myself.

Also, I just found MythTV too unstable (on my Gentoo box). It wouldn't
update overnight, it was slow, whatever. Perhaps I was using hardware
that wasn't powerful enough, but it seemed pretty powerful to me. But
again, MythTV promises to let you build a TiVo-like device yourself,
and one of the points of that to me would be that it should be cheaper
than a TiVo itself. My hardware costs alone were more than the TiVo +
life-time subscription. Over time as PCs get cheaper, I'm sure the cost
might make Myth more attractive.

-Josh