why you should try MythTv

On Oct 6, 2004, at 11:02 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Josh Pollak <pardsbane at offthehill.org> writes:
>
>> and one of the points of that to me would be that it should be cheaper
>> than a TiVo itself. My hardware costs alone were more than the TiVo +
>> life-time subscription. Over time as PCs get cheaper, I'm sure the
>> cost might make Myth more attractive.
>
> I do agree with you that the cost of a single-tuner mythtv is much
> more than a tivo.  But it all depends on what you're building.  My
> MythTV box has four (4) tuners in it.  Show me a TiVo that can record
> four programs at once.  I can assure you that the cost of my myth box
> was definitely less than four tivos with lifetime service.

I'll concede that point, but I can't imagine ever wanting to watch four
shows that overlap. Besides, we now (just recently) have a cable-box,
and you can only tune that to one channel at a time.

> Plus, now I'm considering remote front end boxes to add TV service in
> other rooms in my house.  Granted, I'm trying to figure out how to do
> _that_ relatively inexpensively.  Computer + monitor costs more than a
> regular TV.  *ponders*

Yes, that is a nice advantage. How about using a Modded X-Box ($200)
and a TV? That should work nicely as a front end. Alternatively, I
think cheap slimline or Shuttle-style cases would work well for
Frontends. They just don't seem well suited for backends (or an all in
one unit like I wanted).

-Josh