why you should try MythTv

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:10:17AM -0400, Josh Pollak wrote:
> I'll concede that point, but I can't imagine ever wanting to watch four
> shows that overlap. Besides, we now (just recently) have a cable-box,
> and you can only tune that to one channel at a time.

You generally only need a cable box to decode the expensive channels
like HBO.  You should be able to get standard cable on any other tv
without the box.

> Yes, that is a nice advantage. How about using a Modded X-Box ($200)
> and a TV? That should work nicely as a front end. Alternatively, I
> think cheap slimline or Shuttle-style cases would work well for
> Frontends. They just don't seem well suited for backends (or an all in
> one unit like I wanted).

Name 1 tv tuner that you can connect to the modded xbox.  Also,
remember that the xbox is only a p3 733. By default only has 128megs
of ram, and a 10gig hdd.  After all your modding, you'll end up with a
slow, and more expensive pvr.

also, xbox's are $150 now, mod's are anywhere from $50 - $100, my
Xecuter 2.0 Pro was $65 I think, HDD upgrade is going to run you
~$100.  The USB mod, is possible, and the Hauppauge USB tuner is going
to run you $70 - $150 depending on model.  At that point, you might as
well have just bought the Tivo and been watching tv.  Unless you're
trying to do something multiple tuners, which the xbox probably
couldn't handle.  Even then, the dreamix project was working on this
whole thing, and they scrapped it obviously because it was a waste of
time/bad idea.

There are easier ways to do this than involving a xbox.

-miah