What version and is it free for download

There is much confusion as to "what is" a good Linux server. Too many
people have been brainwashed into thinking that the OS cares what is being
run on it. It doesn't.

RedHat, Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake, Gentoo, slack, debian, etc. are all good
distros.

Distributions based on the 2.6 kernel probably have better performance,
but are a bit newer and prone to newness bugs.

Distributions based on the 2.4 kernel may perform less well, but are
generally better tested.

Regardless, make sure that the distribution comes with an "enterprise"
kernel that can support SMP and/or 4G memory. Even if it doesn't you can
configure a new kernel and compile.

Domino is "more or less" a database, and as such, you should make sure
that the distribution you use supports IBM's jfs, or default to ext2. ext3
is horrible for database work.

Make sure that you understand Domino's requirements and choose the best
distribution for your needs.

Lastly, don't ever "buy" Linux unless you intend to use the support. Linux
is free, and you should feel comfortable in getting it for free. If you
need help, be willing to pay for what ever help you get from a company.
That's the OSS way.