From: dsr at tao.merseine.nu
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 01:03:05 +0000
To: "Mark J. Dulcey" <mark at buttery.org>
Cc: Eric <235u at comcast.net>, discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: What version and is it free for download

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004 at 04:37:06PM -0400, Mark J. Dulcey wrote:
> Eric wrote:
> >markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> >| Domino is "more or less" a database, and as such, you should make sure
> >| that the distribution you use supports IBM's jfs, or default to ext2.
> >ext3
> >| is horrible for database work.
> >
> >Why is ext3 horrible for database work?  My experience with databases
> >are minimal and I'm just curious.  Thanks.
>
> Linux Gazette did some benchmarking of Linux file systems
> (http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html). Their tests concluded that
> ext3 is the slowest overall of the journaling file systems, and
> particularly bad at handling large files, which will happen a lot when
> you're using it to store a database.

They forgot, however, how infrequently a real database will
create or delete a large file.... essentially never.

If you are using the filesystem *as* a database, there are
better choices. But for storing an Oracle, MySQL or PostgreSQL
db, the filesystems all handle about the same... and ext3 comes
out ahead for stability.

-dsr-