Eudora Replacement

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 21:31, Doug Sweetser wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I use nmh, the n for new "mh".  For those that like small programs
> from the command line without its own interface to learn, it still
> does what I want it to do.  If I have to do anything fancy, I use
> Sylpheed Claws (with an alias of "mhg" for mh graphical).
> Conceptually it is nice to think of email as just another simple thing
> to do at the command line.  I really like that each email is its own
> separate file, in keeping with the general Unix philosophy (can be
> done with other programs too).

I used to use exmh on top of nmh. I was reluctant to switch for a long
time, but I needed IMAP support for when I was on the road, and I never
saw anyone working on a drop-in replacement for nmh that used an IMAP
server. I briefly toyed with the idea of writing it myself, but I
eventually gave up on it and switched to Evolution.

The only thing I really missed from exmh was its support for face
pixmaps. In the region between the list of messages and the content
of the current message, exmh displayed a row of 48x48 pixmaps that
indicated the message sender: for example, a message from "fred at hp.com"
might display several icons, if they existed: one included in the
message headers, one for "fred at hp.com", and one for "hp.com". If an
icon had been added for the top-level "com", it would have displayed
that as well.

There's a site with a huge archive of these face icons:

    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/

including a FAQ that explains how to submit your icons to the archive:

    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/picons/ftp/faq.html#submit

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9