SAMBA name mangling -- translate colon to something else?

Hi,

I've got a SAMBA share on Linux where some of the files have a colon
in the name.  SAMBA automatically mangles those names and turns them
into 8.3 "short names" because a colon is an invalid character in DOS
names.  I've tried various "mangle map" settings to try to get it
to map the colon to another character with no success.

Has anyone dealt with this or have any ideas?

I suppose I should add that I'm using samba 2.2.7a-8.9.0 from Red Hat.

TIA,

-derek